Firearms and Weapons Offenses
When it comes to Firearms and Weapons offenses, the State of Florida is as tough as they come. Florida's 10/20/LIFE law imposes minimum/mandatory sentences for certain crimes committed with a firearm.
The current version of Florida's 10/20/LIFE law is applied as follows:
When a firearm is used in the commission of a crime, the crime may be enhanced to the next higher felony degree and the possible punishment may be greatly increased. Under the 10/20/LIFE statute, if you are convicted of one of the crimes listed in the statute and a firearm was used in the commission of the crime, you will face a minimum/mandatory sentence of:
- TEN years if you possessed a firearm during the commission of the crime.
- TWENTY years if the firearm was discharged during the commission of the crime.
- TWENTY FIVE YEARS TO LIFE if anyone was seriously injured or died as the result of a discharge from the firearm during the commission of the crime.
A minimum/mandatory sentence requires that the convicted person serve the entire sentence day-for-day, and they are not eligible for any form of early release.
The Attorneys of Blake & Dorsten, P.A. handle all Firearm and Weapons offenses including:
- Carrying a Concealed Weapon, Carrying a Concealed Firearm
- Improper Exhibition of a Firearm
- Shooting at, within or into a Vehicle/Building
- Delinquent in Possession of a Firearm, Felon in Possession of a Firearm (3 year minimum/mandatory)
- Aggravated Assault with a Firearm
- Armed Burglary
- Armed Robbery
- Armed Kidnapping
- Armed Sexual Battery
- First and Second Degree Murder, Felony Murder
As former prosecutors we have had the opportunity to prosecute every type of Firearm and Weapons offense imaginable. If there was one common theme amongst our gang prosecutions, it was "guns and drugs."
If you are facing any type of Firearm or Weapons offense, you need an experienced criminal trial attorney that can help you avoid the very serious penalties that the State of Florida will be seeking.
Contact the Blake & Dorsten, P.A. today for a free consultation on any Firearms and/or Weapons offense.